Sunday, July 01, 2007

Watchlist 2007

Live Free or Die Hard. A couple of months ago I got nostalgic and saw the very first Die Hard, where Bruce Willis still had hair, and the "one-man-against-the-world" concept was still fresh and new. I got a kick seeing Severus Snape Hans Gruber again, and seeing gas for less than a buck. Surprisingly, it held up quite well.

Fast forward to iPhone Friday, and I was sitting in a movie theater watching the Mac guy pretending to be a hacker in the fourth installment (I actually prefer the alternate title, Die Hard 4.0). I always hate it when they use "hackers" as the bad guys in a film; they never get it quite right, and they dumb it down with multiple windows and fancy graphics (Swordfish, anyone?). Of course, if I worry too much about it, I'll never enjoy the movie, so I just pretty much turn my brain off.

With that mindset, I pretty much enjoyed LFDH. It doesn't quite compare to the first, but it's definitely better than the second and is somewhat on par with the third (which had Samuel L. Jackson lifting it up). Maggie Q was quite a talent. There are ridiculous stunts, and Bruce Willis has his trademark humor intact, although it seemed forced in some spots.

Two things ran through my mind after the movie, though:
(1) Why wasn't the Mac guy (Justin Long) using a Mac?
(2) Why was he using a Nokia instead of an iPhone?

No comments: