Saturday, October 01, 2005

Serenity

Saw Serenity with my workmates the other day. I was aware of Firefly, but I never watched an actual episode (since Fox buried the show, and SciFi channel showed it before I got home from work and I kept forgetting to set the DVR). I did know three things going in, though:

(1) It was written by Joss Whedon, who also did Angel, one of my favorite series;
(2) It was a cowboy space-opera
(3) The plot from the trailer was that there was this girl who was a human weapon that was being hunted down, and the Serenity crew had to protect her.

After watching the movie, I wanted to hunt the Firefly DVDs down. It was really, really, really good. A bit cheesy, but in a good way (you know how Angel and Buffy had cheap laughs sometimes). Throughout the movie I was thinking "Damn, George Lucas should've hired Joss to write and direct his prequels, and we may have gotten something decent".

And the girl who played Inara, Morena Baccarin? Wow. Heard she wants to play Wonder Woman (she also plays Black Canary in Justice League Unlimited. Hey, she gets my vote.

*** SPOILERS HO! (no pun intended, given Inara's *ahem* job) ***

I guess it's true: Relationship + Joss = Doomed. Damn you Joss Whedon! (oh, and please make a sequel. Thanks).

Certainly in my top ten movies watched this year. Hmm, that's a future post right there...

No comments: