Monday, October 10, 2005

Daddychoy: Mechanic?

I've always had two left thumbs when it comes to projects. Hammer a nail? It'll come out crooked. Paint a wall? You'll see the drippings at the bottom.

That's why when my driver-side headlight on my Civic went out, I had a quandary. Normally, I just bring the car into the shop, but after Googling "fix Civic headlights", it seemed like it would be an easy job. Pull the old bulb out, put the new bulb in, and it's all done! Simple, right? So I go ahead and buy the bulb at Walmart, pull the owner's manual out, and pop the hood.

'cept there's the Power Steering reservoir in the way.

Back to Google, and people said just pull the reservoir straight up.

Tried again, and I got the reservoir out, but it seemed like I would pop a hose, forever damaging the car and requiring even more money to fix.

So I returned the reservoir, closed the hood, and decided to wait and get home before it was dark. This was two months ago, when it was still light at 8:00pm.

It's October now, and it's getting dark by 6:30pm. So, no choice but to go to the shop and get it fixed. Due to my stubborness, though, I decided to try one last time today.

Fixed it! I got over my fear of breaking anything, and just pulled the reservoir out of the way. There were a few tense moments, but after 30 minutes of work, I was successful.

Yay me!

I won't be changing the oil any time though...

No comments: