Saturday, March 24, 2007

Watchlist 2007

An Inconvenient Truth. When I was in college I joined this organization called Green Response. It was a group dedicated to "saving the environment". Membership was pretty small. The only memorable thing I remember our group doing was sell t-shirts (which I designed, unfortunately). Our message was good, but I don't think anyone really wanted to listen. We didn't sell that many shirts.

I'm not sure if it was because nobody cared about the message, or because the delivery of that message left much to be desired.

Al Gore's Acadamy-Award winning movie An Inconvenient Truth reminds me of that organization. It's a powerful message about global warming; his facts and figures are pretty convincing, and pretty frightening. Unfortunately, his delivery leaves much to be desired. I fell asleep midway through and got poked awake. I then spent the next thirty minutes half-listening to his lecture, and concentrating more on his MacBook Pro (or was that an iBook?) and his use of Keynote for his slides (I assume that was Keynote, no?).

He did make some funny cracks ("I'm the former next president of the United States. I don't find that funny."), but on the whole he's about as charismatic as a block of wood. Slick Willie Clinton would've kept my attention for the entire ninety minutes. Which is a shame--Gore had something good to say.

No comments: