Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Humanity To Others

So I finally went ahead and began looking at Ubuntu. I've had a couple of 5.10 install CDs lying around since early last year, but I never got around to doing anything with them. Part of the reason was I didn't really have a machine to install them on; I couldn't get Ubuntu to boot up on my desktop, and PJ didn't want me installing it on the laptop unless I backed up the data there.

Well, I finally got my ass in gear and backed up the data on an external hard drive. I downloaded Edgy and burned it to a CD, placed it in the laptop disk tray, and then rebooted.

First impression: Wow, that background's pretty tan.
Second impression: Yikes, this thing is SLOW!.

I gave it some allowance seeing as I was running off a LiveCD. Still, though, it took forever to bring up anything, so I did some more research. Turns out the laptop only had 256MB of memory, and I guess the newer versions of Gnome are memory-hungry(?). I wasn't going to purchase any new memory for this laptop, so I looked for another distro (heh, forgive me for speaking the lingo). I settled on xubuntu, seeing as I was really interested in what the fuss over Ubuntu was all about. So, I downloaded Edgy and burned it to a CD, placed it in the laptop disk tray, and then rebooted.

First impression: Hey, that background's OSX-y..
Second impression: It's definitely much faster than Ubuntu.

So now I'm installing xubuntu on the laptop. We'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Zhuan said...

Edgy/6.10 still has some issues and only has 18 months support. Dapper/6.06 is more stable, has 3 years desktop support, 5 years server support. Actually, the newer versions of Gnome (2.14 and up - found in Dapper onwards) are slimmer, faster. Xubuntu uses the Xfce desktop. It has a far smaller memory footprint than either Gnome or KDE. My old PII-366, 128 MB box uses this.

Good choice. ;)