Saturday, February 17, 2007

bookoftheweek: Fragile Things

I finally got around to reading Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things. Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be. It feels like his stories shine when the have room to breathe--the short story format just doesn't suit him as well. Most of the stories here feel like beginnings, the first chapter in a forthcoming novel; they don't really feel complete.

There are some gems in this collection, though: A Study in Emerald is fantastic, especially since I'm a big fan of Sherlock Holmes; The Problem of Susan, while disturbing, is quite excellent; Other People has a twist which is pretty cool, and the last story, Monarch of the Glen is something I've read before (in Legends II), but is still quite enjoyable. Heck, we get to see Shadow again.

The way I judge how much I enjoyed a book is how often I can re-read it; for example, I must've read Good Omens a dozen times. Other than the stories I mentioned above, I won't be re-reading this one any time soon.

No comments: