Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Word Sandwich

I've always thought that I'm fairly good with words. I'm pretty good at Scrabble, and I'm fairly proficient at crosswords. The game Word Sandwich kicks my ass, though.

The game is pretty easy to pick up--you'll need to guess a five-letter word. If you're wrong, it'll place it either on-top or below. Keep going until you manage to narrow it down to the correct word. The earlier you get it, the higher your score. You start with 1,000 points. Each incorrect guess subtracts points, and the multiplier goes down as you try to think of the word.

It's hard to think when you see that slider go from a x5 multiplier all the way to x1 as you try to think of a word between hoary and horse.

So far I haven't even cracked 10,000 points. Some people just think better under pressure, I guess. Me, I think I need to create an index on my internal dictionary to speed up queries.

No comments: