Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Singin' the Donut Blues

So the Krispy Kreme near my freeway onramp just closed for good. What a pity. I've always been fond of Krispy Kreme, back when I still lived in my condo and there was only one in the area. It was always a treat to go there, line up, buy several boxes, and then wolf them down. Even my diabetic aunt couldn't resist--she had a couple, then had to lie down afterwards. They were that good.

(I understand that there's a Krispy Kreme competitor in the RP called "Gonuts Donuts". I went there, bought a dozen, and almost threw up when I ate one. Blech. It's waaaay too sweet, in my opinion).

Then they began to expand too quickly, opening stores left and right, while selling their donuts in grocery stores. They didn't seem to understand the concept of keeping them wanting more (like In N'Out); they just wanted to expand, and expand they did.

Now? They've begun shrinking down again to what they were back when I still lived in my condo. Although I heard from my co-worker that they closed that branch as well. Sad.

1 comment:

daddychoy said...

Yeah, you're right, I don't know why I put "competitor" there, considering there aren't any Krispy Kreme's in the Philippines...