Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sad Songs Say So Much

So I just received my copy of Breathe's "Peace of Mind" the other day. Remember them? They who spawned the vest craze back in High School with the video from their song "How Can I Fall?" Yes, I'm a sap. I bought this CD because I was looking for the song "Does She Love That Man", which partnered with Breathe's older song "All This I Should Have Known" are a one-two punch to the gut for someone who just broke up with their significant other.

I had Breathe's first album, "All That Jazz", so I already had a copy of "All This I Should Have Known"; however, I wanted "Does She Love That Man" as well, and I couldn't find it on any of the legal sites. I was hesitant to buy the CD just for that one song, but I found one used for 47 cents. 47 cents! Shipping was $2.49, but hey, $3.00 for two songs ("Say A Prayer" was also on the CD) seemed to be worth it.

So why the sudden urge to look for this song? It's not that I'm suddenly pining for a lost love (happily married with two kids!); it just started after hearing an 80's New Wave CD in my friend JC's car ("We're always fighting for the state of the natiooooooooon." Heh.). It got me looking for "Burning Flame" by Vitamin Z (another why-did-we-break-up song). I thought I found it at Landmark, but instead found out it was a cover (the Pinoy accent gave it away). Finally, I was able to find a podcast that played it (along with an excellent Sting cover of "Aint No Sunshine"). I then started looking for other songs which I hadn't been able to find before; like "I'll Get By" by Eddie Money; "Distance Between Us" by Fra Lippo Lippi; "Different Seasons" by Johnny Hates Jazz; and "Does She Love That Man" by Breathe.

Come to think of it, those are all break up songs from the 80's. Huh. I guess I really am a sap.

2 comments:

daddychoy said...

Wait, is this the song that starts "Goodbye...it's time for me to go..." Huh. I never knew what the title was, much less who sang it.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. "I'll be there someday..."