Thursday, September 15, 2005

Cool it now

Finally figured out the CPU overheating problem on my box--it was a combo of the thermal compound and the HSF not being set correctly. What I did:

(1) Bought a new third party fan (Thermaltake Jungle 512)
(2) Bought Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound
(3) Bought Arcticlean thermal compound cleaner
(4) Removed the heatsink and cleaned the silicone goop off
(5) Removed the CPU (!) and cleaned the surface
(6) Put back the CPU (at first I restarted the machine--didn't work. Panic. Then I realize I didn't close the load plate correctly. Whew!)
(7) Reset the HSF and pushed down FIRMLY. I was always delicate with it because I was worried about cracking the motherboard, but the shop said push it in firmly, so I did.

BAM, temps are now hovering at 45C. Yay!

No comments: