Saturday, September 10, 2005

Are You Hot or Not?

Well, I went ahead and got a third party CPU HSF (Thermaltake Jungle512) from Fry's. First time actually installing one; other than the fact that I'm bummed about this machine (after plopping down money for it), it's actually quite exciting tinkering around with the guts of the PC.

Did it work? Somewhat...the fan has more RPM than the previous one, and I think the heatsink is better built...so now the temp hovers around 83 degrees celsius...still hot, but at least it doesn't crank up to 110 degrees C...all the time. I might try adding arctic silver or another thermal compound later on.

I'm typing this on the box as we speak. It's half-naked right now--for better circulation (I'll take the risk on the dust part).

Wondering now if the temp sensor is defective or not. This IS a new motherboard after all. Oh, well, the shop should respond by tomorrow.

Fan's a bit loud though. The stock fan was much quieter.

No comments: