Saturday, May 28, 2011

Summer Of Movies

Summer blockbuster season is upon us, and so far we've been in the movie theater every single week.

May 14: Thor. Not bad. Better than I expected, although it's a bit sad to see Sir Anthony Hopkins descend further into cheesiness. We had the misfortune of watching this on 3D though--yes, the goggles do nothing! It does whet your appetite for The Avengers though.

May 21: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides. For a moment there I got excited as I had read the book by Tim Powers (it's on this blog somewhere, I think). Turns out it was just "inspired" by that book. The movie wasn't great, but wasn't bad either. Penelope Cruz looks better than I remembered, and those mermaids seem to be all supermodels. My kids liked them at first, until they turned into "vampire mermaids". Heh. We did seriously miss Will and Elizabeth though--here's hoping they make a cameo in the next one.

May 28: Kung-Fu Panda 2. Best movie I've seen this year I think. One of those sequels that was possibly better than the original. It's a pity there were too many *great* characters that were wasted; Jackie Chan as Monkey comes to mind. Seth Rogen as Mantis stole it somewhat, much like Geoffrey Rush stole POTC:OST.

Coming up (and yes, I used Saturday as the day we'll probably watch):

June 4: X-Men: First Class
June 11: Super 8
June 18: Green Lantern
June 25: Cars 2
July 2: Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Nothing to see for July 9, so we get a break there

July 16: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
July 23: Captain America: The First Avenger
July 30: Cowboys and Aliens

Remains to be seen if we see the movies on their opening weekends. Maybe we'll move stuff around; maybe we'll see two movies in a weekend.

No comments: