Thursday, June 21, 2007

Watchlist 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness. For a supposedly "uplifting" film this sure is depressing. The hits kept on coming for Will Smith's character, each one making me more and more uncomfortable. When the expected "happy" ending came I wasn't happy at all, I was just relieved. Poor guy.

The Good Shepherd. We had to watch this over two days, because it was unexpectedly long. It started out interestingly enough, with a smoking hot Angelina Jolie to keep me occupied. The beginning of Matt Damon's spy career was very interesting, with some interesting reveals during World War II. Then we had to stop the movie because we were all falling asleep. When we resumed the movie it had become dull and boring, a development curiously reflected in Jolie, who they made up to look dull and boring. We gamely soldiered on to the end, just because Damon is such a good actor.

Flushed Away. Mildly amusing, about on-par with Shrek the Third. Except of course I had lower expectations for this movie. I don't know why the Aardman magic wasn't here--lost in all the computer animation, perhaps. Or maybe it was the involvement of Dreamworks. Some amusing bits, especially the over-the-top acting of Sir Ian McKellen and Jean Reno. Best part was Reno's French commandos ("we surrender!"). Heaven help me, I found Rita strangely attractive. A rat. In my defense, they made her look and act like Kate Winslet.

No comments: