Wednesday, April 04, 2007

All We Hear Is...

I hardly listen to music anymore whenever I'm driving. I still like music, to be sure, but mostly I listen to it whenever I'm working. Instead, I usually listen to talk radio--Kevin and Bean on the way to work, sports talk on the way back home. The talk radio keeps me awake.

Of course, the gold standard is Kevin and Bean. They're hilarious. Even the side characters (Ralph, Psycho Mike, Lightning and Lisa) are pretty funny too. At any other time, though, I listen to sports talk. My top radio sports personalities:

1. Matt "Money" Smith. Not surprising, really, seeing as he used to be the sports guy on Kevin and Bean. He has a very mellow voice, and is quite funny himself. I actually liked him better with Grande and Cook; Petros is a bit obnoxious sometimes--and not in a good way. Sometimes you can feel the tension between the two, as was the case when they argued over which was the better burger: Fatburger or In N' Out.

2. Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann. Okay, so these are two people. However, Dan by himself is a bit boring; pair him with Keith, though--magic. I enjoyed these two in the early days of SportsCenter, and I was sad when Keith left. These two just have chemistry, kind of like that old married couple who bicker but are perfect for each other.

3. Tony Bruno. I discovered this guy back when he was still with Andrew Siciliano. I'm not really sure why he just suddenly disappeared from Fox Sports radio--I think he went to Sirius or XM for a while. Now he's back in the morning on 1540. I tune in when K&B are on break. A welcome respite from Simers and Cowherd. Funny, funny guy.

4. Jim Rome. You either love him or you hate him. His "clones" are what make the show. Some are hilarious, others are just sad.

5. The Loose Cannons. Honestly, I dislike Vic The Brick. He's too much of a Laker homer, and I doubt he believes all that zen gibberish he spouts. But put him together with Mychal Thompson and Steve Hartman and you've got comedy gold. Once in a while they actually make sense, but the entertainment value when they argue is priceless. I heard Vic and Mychal yesterday without Hartman, and it just wasn't the same.

No comments: