Monday, July 24, 2006

Miss Universe

Since there's nothing on this summer, we decided to tune in to the Miss Universe pageant. It's mostly irrelevant nowadays around here, but I remember being all excited about it when I was small, hoping Ms Philippines would somehow make it into the finals. I still remember Pebbles de Asis' answer when Bob Barker asked the question:

Bob: "So you have The Price Is Right in the Philippines?"
Pebbles: "Of course, it's my favorite show!"

The answer, innocent as it was, made me cringe. The answer probably didn't matter one way or another, but I'm still convinced that contributed to her not winning.

This year, it's Miss Japan...yowza. Talk about mysterious and attractive...unfortunately, she was only runner-up to Miss Puerto Rico. I'm also convinced that her slip-up (when she didn't answer the "How did you learn French and Spanish" but instead said "Hello" in English) during the first Q&A that did her in.

Oh, and Miss Philippines winning Miss Photogenic? Pinoy vote-in power at its finest--the same folks who got Jasmine and MiG all the way to the top three.

No comments: