Sunday, October 05, 2008

Rotten Tomatoes Best Animated Films

Here's an interesting take on the 50 Best Animated Films of all time. But really...Snow White #2? Really? With that grating little-girl voice that Snow White has? And don't get me started on her singing! I can't really argue with #1, although I think some of Pixar's later efforts are better.

My own personal top ten:

1. Spirited Away (#13) - an amazing ride through traditional Japanese folklore, subtly providing life lessons for both kids and adults. I must've watched this about a dozen times.
2. The Incredibles (#11) - superheroes! Pixar! What can possibly go wrong? It also helps that one of my former co-workers looks like Edna Mode, and is married to someone who looks like Mr. Incredible.
3. Flight of Dragons (not in the list) - why can't they put this on DVD?
4. Transformers: The Movie (not in the list) - what thirtysomething geek can't quote at least one line from this movie? Heck, Dirk Diggler knew "The Touch".
5. Howl's Moving Castle (#41) - another Miyazaki film. Dude's a genius.
6. Finding Nemo (#6) - I love the ocean and all the creatures that reside in it. Also, as a dad, this movie always makes me tear up *sniff*
7. Lilo and Stitch (#42) - some people probably don't like Stitch and find Lilo annoying. I don't; I find the titular characters extremely funny. I'm probably in the minority.
8. Sleeping Beauty (#45)- probably the best of the "classic" Walt Disney. It's a bit annoying though how they keep re-releasing it as a super-duper-deluxe-edition. Enough already!
9. Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (#18) - stop-motion animation at its best. The Wrong Trousers was better, with the malevolent penguin, but this was still quite entertaining its own way.
10. Akira (#35)- yeah, it's a bit overrated. But the storyline is pretty cool, and is quite the cautionary tale.

A bit hard to whittle it down, and some I can interchange (Toy Story, The Iron Giant, Kung-Fu Panda). Heck, I'll probably have a different list tomorrow.

No comments: