Monday, January 21, 2008

At the Movies, 2008: Cloverfield

This movie made me sick.

Literally. It's all based on the "handheld-camera" idea, much like Blair Witch. So, what is this movie about? You've probably already seen the trailer with the head of the Statue of Liberty landing on the street. You've heard everything from Cthulhu to Voltron (huh, that would've been cool).

It's not Cthulhu or Voltron, I can tell you that. It is along the vein of Godzilla (in terms of giant monster attacks port city), although it's not our favorite Tokyo monster import. Yes, it's a monster movie, but without the usual cliches, like using a Mac to inject a virus into aliens. Well, okay, ONE cliche, the one about the attractive twentysomethings in DANGER. And you do have to check your disbelief at the door (that's a pretty indestructible camera, don't you think?). Oh, and Pepsi, Sephora and Nokia must've paid a pretty penny for product placement.

Despite those small flaws the movie on the whole is pretty darn good. It's tightly written, much like any JJ Abrams presentation, grabbing you and not letting go until the end. The monster is cool, and the different shots of the military attacking it are awesome. I wish, though, that the DAMN CAMERA WILL STAND STILL FOR MORE THAN TEN SECONDS. Because it nearly made me throw up.

Go and see it if you're not prone to motion sickness. I thought I wasn't (I never get seasick, even when fishing in a bangka for papacol in Cavite with huge waves around us), but this one made me contemplate running to the bathroom.

Sequel? Probably. Maybe they'll find the five lions and we'll get Voltron after all! I just hope it's not this handheld camera bit again.

1 comment:

Zhuan said...

I am so glad I didn't watch it alone.