Sunday, February 03, 2008

MacBook Air: A Mini Review

I found myself at the mall today and decided to take a hands-on look at the MacBook Air. There was a crowd of people around the three that were on display; one was being hogged by two teenagers who were goofing off on YouTube; another was being demoed by a "Genius" to a couple (I wanted to tell them to get a MacBook Pro if they were inclined to go Mac), and the third was running GarageBand.

The third one freed up pretty quickly, and so I got a chance to take a quick look at it. My impressions:
1. It's thin, but it feels pretty sturdy. Actually, it feels just about as solid as our Lenovo T61.
2. With that said, it still feels a bit bulky. How do I explain it? Um, some people are touting this as an "ultraportable". It doesn't feel like it. It feels just like a regular notebook (see #1).
3. I think the Titanium PowerBook is still sexier than this one.
4. Keyboard/Trackpad: Trackpad was nice and wide...but I kept catching myself trying to avoid resting my palms on it to type on the keyboard. Also, the "multitouch" thing they tout seems like a useless gimmick to me. It was cool on the iPhone, but not on this one. Gimme the T61 "nipple" any day.
5. Performance seemed snappy. Then again, I didn't try to load anything on it--just started up iPhoto, went to a couple of websites, and played a bit with GarageBand.

Overall, the impression I get is that it's a nice-looking piece of hardware, but it doesn't really do anything that the far cheaper MacBook doesn't do. I guess I'm not the "target audience".

No comments: